Betsey Do

Friday, March 16, 2007

Celtic knitting? I meant celtic cabling




Back in January, I started 2007 with the first post listing the following 5 things to do:


1. Completing my first pair of knitted socks.
2. Learn spinning .
3. Finish the Swatch Blanket
4. Buy a pet Alpaca (or at least shear one).
5. Practice some Celtic Knitting.

Today, I have found the project I have been looking for in doing the Celtic Knitting. But I realize now that I meant a celtic-cables type of knitting. when I wrote this list, and added the celtic knitting entry, I was inspired by the cover of Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge. I loved the cabling of the scarf on the cover, but knew I would never use that type of a design in a scarf. But then I saw this bag on Moonlight Stitches Blog just as I was thinking how much I'd like to knit a bag. (A thought inspired by Tracey Ullman's tweed tote story Knit 2 Together AND the cool cable bag that Karen is working on.

I have two choice yarns in my stash to work from on this bag. Either the really nice cream wool that Adrian gave me, or the green over-dyed stuff from the frogged thrifted sweater. So I'll be swatching to see if they match the 14"=4 inch gauge on my #9s.

Oh, and to update on the 5 things list. 1) I've knitted both of the first pair of socks. Done. 2) Learned spinning and am on my second color - a beautiful pound of blue roving with subtle flecks of other colors in it - really nice! 3) Still working on the swatch blanket and am pulling it out today to plan the next few swatches. 4) Umm. Maybe a trip to the zoo this Sunday? and there we go.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ooooo - you are going to love this bag. Karen made one ages ago too in hot pink. good luck choosing a color - both of your choices sound like they will show the stitch work off nicely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home