Betsey Do

Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Lavender Celtic-cabled Bag is in Process.

I am almost done with one side of this bag. It's knit up from a lovely shade of lavendar wool from New Zealand from the Kona Bay company. It was a beautiful shade of lavender that I purchased the last 3 hanks (100 gms each) at Black Sheep Knittery at their kick-ass sale last week (50% off everything in this gorgeously stocked store). Crystal, who owns and runs this store, was very kind to let me sit and knit there all morning (to get away from the algebra homework and be around knitters!) and it was fun watching women come in, discovering that her on-line announced sale included everything, including needles and books! These girls were buying large bags full of Noro, Manos and KPPMs, handing over their credit cards and asking her not to announce the total, they'll find out later when they decide to take a look at the bill.

This was fun to sit and watch. I'd been mistaken twice for working there since I was the only one not wildly buying, but sitting, knitting and chatting once in a while.

The pattern calls for doing this same piece again for the other side, then knitting the gusset and piecing them all together.

If you hold the rows straight across so that the pointy ends hang down, it looks like this might make a beautiful flared out bottom to a skirt. I'm inspired to take this idea to a cone of tweedy, very light weight yarn (baby weight or fingering) to make a nice skirt out of this.
The bag pattern calls for #9 needles; for a nicer drape with the tweed fingering, maybe I'll try something still almost as large as #9s, maybe #7s.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am sad that I missed that sale, but my pocket book is happy that it was missed. Isn't that bag fun to make? I can't wait to see your skirt!

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger WhatWouldBetseyDo said…

    The bag Is fun. Great way to have fun with the cable patterning and not undertake a sweater! The bag is just about done and looks soooo cool to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home